Sunday, March 14, 2010

Staggering Odds and Oddity



"Do you hear that, Neo? That is the sound of inevitability."

And much like the thundering subway train in that climactic scene from The Matrix, the universe in all of its infinite wisdom hit me like a ton of bricks last night. The statistical probability is staggeringly unlikely...

After another fun-filled night working at the Guru Room, your plucky heroine ventured with Bestie and her BF to an impromptu soiree, where I knew nary a soul. Fine by me, I enjoy meeting new people, and wasn't disappointed in the wonderful company that I found. Fellow nerds, unite! Great conversation, great laughs, and reminiscing with my first boyfriend.

Wait, what?

No, really. I had (and have) a hard time wrapping my brain around this one myself. And I'm not talking first crush, first date, or anything normal like that. I'm talking shared a hospital room at birth, and our mothers thought it would be chummy to have us be playmates, and jokingly refer to us as an "item".

I have only vague recollections of said boyfriend. What stands out as remarkably clear are only his name and place of birth. It didn't occur to me in the slightest on introductions that I may know this fellow, and merrily continued on my way to obliteration and debauchery with the rest of the partygoers.

A short time later, while in heated discussion over music, movies, and god-knows-what else, re-introductions were made (as we all know, most of the time names fly in and out of our ears at such gatherings. its the human condition) Said Boyfriend looked at me quizzically, and asked about my birthday, and did I know a so and so, and did my mother and their mother often comment at what a cute couple they were?


Jaw hanging, the pieces clicked into place. At least 24 years have passed since last I saw this person. But the memory is an integral part of my childhood - and the unlikelihood that I would meet him, now, (and get along famously) is astounding. I only happened to be at this party last minute on invitation from Besties Boyfriend, and would certainly not have crossed paths otherwise.


What whimsy the universe has. The random acts and events in our lives align themselves in the most peculiar ways. If I were the religious type, I'd chalk it up to a higher power. But since that doesn't hold any water for me, I'll take the arkhams razor approach. The simplest explanation is the best.


It was a glitch in the Matrix.



----------------
Listening to: Depeche Mode - It's Called A Heart
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Share |