Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dreaming of Nightmares

yeah, I know. I'm tapped in the head.

But seriously, I can't wait for the new Nightmare On Elm Street, which opens this Friday. I generally can't stand the current trend of revamping the cherished 80's movies of my childhood. There is actually a short list of movies that if anyone touches, I'll have their balls. With a spoon. I guess Nightmare would have been on that list, not only as an 80's-Film-You-Don't-Fuck-With, but as a Horror-Movie-You-Don't-Fuck-With. There are hordes of fans out there who squealed with delight to hear that Rob Zombie was directing a new Halloween, only to be disappointed, utterly. And Friday the 13th? I couldn't even bother watching, hearing derisive reviews and a general consensus of suck. Why should this new "Nightmare" be any different? And why do I care so much?

I have a confession, dear readers. I'm warped in the head. Freddy Krueger captured my youthful imagination like no other movie. Perhaps because this particular bogey-man was interwoven in my most beloved of past-times, dreaming. I dreamt on Elm Street, wandering rainy streets at night looking for the house I knew to be sieged by supernatural terror. I was never afraid in these dreams, and Freddy wasn't necessarily evil, simply an entity to face. The mortality of life hadn't settled in yet, and even death was an adventure. (I was a terribly macabre child) I begged to see "Nightmare IV" in the theater (and did)- and I don't know how I'll explain to the youngling that he's named after The Dream Child.

So I have a vested interest, let's leave it at that. Now, the question remains, will it be any good?

The trailers have me thinking, maybe so. 26 Years Later, and movie production is infinitely more spectacular. The special effects alone should be worth the movie ticket. And I have to give them credit: there are some identical scenes in Nightmare '10 - and some interesting new ones as well. But what about our favorite deranged slasher, Freddy? The iconic Robert Englund *was* Freddy. (as a side note, he made a spectacular guest appearance on an episode of "Bones" two weeks ago, chock full of Freddy humor) Who could possibly fill his shoes? I love Jackie Earl Haley - Watchmen is a personal favorite - but will he be a BBQ'd Rorsharch and nothing more? I'm nervous like a teenager going on a first date...

Tha-thump, Tha-thump.

What are your thoughts? Epic FAIL or Franchise Revival?

oh, and expect a *thorough* review by Monday. The laundry will wait.



----------------
Listening to: Coheed and Cambria - In The Flame Of Error
via FoxyTunes

4 comments:

  1. I don't know. I loved the original, too. All of them really (though they were getting a little trite by the end). I'm sort of assuming this will be a fail, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been in love with Jackie Earl Haley since "The Bad News Bears", but most people don't recognize him as the hot juvenile delinquent anymore. Gods, I love my facial recognition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As darling hubby would say, "hope for the best, plan for the worst".

    I'll have a bottle o' Jack and "Dream Warriors" cued up for when I get home. win/win.

    and I had no idea Sam! IMDB to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree with your opinion of Friday the 13th remake. Aside from a few small plot holes that you could drive a truck through, there lies an important message. Don't steal Jason's weed. (If you didn't see the remake, spoiler alert it starts with some kids who find Jason's weed patch. That want to take it, he kills everyone. And scene.
    As for the NOES remake, I hope that they bring it back to the original creepy feel. Freddy is a character that grew older with all of us who watched it as kids. Many younger people didn't see a Nightmare until he was a campy, corn ball killer who cracked more one liners than skulls. But to those of us who can remember the original, it was truly creepy. Good horror isn't about excessive gore (no matter what Rob Zombie thinks) It's about the suspense building to the violence. Of the recent "horror" movies that have garnered critical praise, (blair witch, paranormal activity, etc) they had maybe one or two scenes of spine-tingling suspense that filled the original Nightmare from opening credits to closing credits. Freddy wasn't cool, or funny, or campy. He was a freaking nightmare! Lets hope that they bring it back to those roots instead of appealing to a crowd who wasn't born til Freddy 3-D was already on vhs.

    ReplyDelete

Share

Share |