Monday, May 3, 2010

Loving to Hate Love


Its a complicated relationship.

On the one hand, she's a train wreck. In and out of rehab for years, and most notoriously the widow of Kurt Cobain, Courtney Love is anything but adored. Its been 10 years since Hole's "Celebrity Skin" - and the only thing of note since then is the tragically chaotic "America's Sweetheart". So I was *very* surprised to learn that not only are Hole (basically Love with a whole new lineup) on tour, but that a brand new Hole record, "Nobody's Daughter" was released last week.

Now, I like to pride myself on my impeccable taste in music. Most of the time. Sure, we all have those cherished albums kept in the secret recesses of our hearts and cellars. That song that will play on your iPod from time to time, and you can't help but be moved by it, most likely because the music evokes a memory, keen and sharp - no matter how many years have passed.

Hole is like that for me. When my peers were getting over the whole "grunge" thing, I was just getting into it. Day late and a dollar short? Yeah, that's me. At any rate, I had a copy of "Live Through This" and played the goddamned thing to DEATH. Still do, from time to time. The screeching lyrics and driven, dirty guitars were intoxicating. It wasn't until after the fact that I learned about Love and Cobain, and the swirling rumors involving his "suicide". But to be honest, it doesn't change a damned thing.

She's a terrible mother, not a particularly talented singer, and bat-shit crazy. And I can't help but fucking love her. Maybe because she thrives on the imperfect and tragic - maybe because she's so much more accessible to me than some glittering starlet. Life is dirty. Life is ugly. Love gets this, and isn't afraid to flaunt it.

Now I'm listening to the new album, and I can't help but like it. "Skinny Little Bitch" in particular has me jammin out with my clam out - its no "Gutless" or "Dicknail", but its grimy enough to put a smile on my face.

The best part? They're playing the House of Blues in June. On my birfday. Coincidence? I think not.

Rock N' Rolla.
Here's to bad choices, skanky women, and aging less than gracefully. Oh, Courtney, I've got all my bases covered.



----------------
Listening to: Hole - How Dirty Girls Get Clean
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

  1. I like your point of view; however, I feel that Love's whole disgusting image is a vehicle to make money while capitalizing on girl angst towards stereo typical gender roles. I admit, when I was 15 and Hole's first album came out I was enthralled by anthems of pessimism. She can keep beating the tortured soul drum, but who really wants to listen it? She has no credibility as an artist and any album that she contributes to is automatically reduced to "the emperor's no clothes."
    Although Courtney Love sucks big green donkey dick, you my friend still rule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, thanks doll <3

    I'm forced to concur with your point of view - there really aren't any redeeming qualities to Love except for how I connect to her songs. And even that has a lot less to do with the music and more to do with the emotion connected to it. I don't feel as strongly *against* her, per se - just taking her with a grain of salt and humanity =)

    and oddly, most of my favorite musicians are either dead from drug overdose or in recovery... perhaps I'm just drawn to ticking time bombs?

    either way - thanks for visiting, darlin' - your input is *always* welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Share

Share |